If you have been fishing for some time, you understand the importance of having a good spinning reel. Anyone with a little experience in fishing can tell you that a badly spooled reel can cause a lot of frustration when you are out on the water.
If you are wondering how to spool a spinning reel properly without getting knots and twists, you are in the right place. In this article, we will guide you to do it in the proper manner and enjoy your fishing without any hassle.
Drawbacks of a badly spooled spinning reel
When spooling is not done in a proper manner, you will face a lot of troubles while fishing. The first thing to go wrong will be the twists on the line which will not come out in a smooth manner. When the line is rolled in the right method, it will easily come out in the same manner it was spooled.
There will not be any twists and it will be easy to handle. The problem arises when the twists occur as they will not allow the spool to spin in a free manner.
You also have to be careful about line tension while spooling the reel. If the right amount of tension is not maintained, you will have a tough time when you end up with a heavy catch.
Your line will be left in tangles if there is a lack of tension on the reel. In order to avoid these issues, it is essential to spool it in the proper manner.
Simple steps to spool properly
- Get a good quality line of a reliable brand
- Make sure to find out the maximum weight it can safely handle
- Avoid using a pen or pencil to spool the spinning reel. It is not the right method and will create lots of line twists that will give you troubles later
- Secure the line by tying the knot to the spinning reel
- Note down the direction in which your spinning reel turns
- Some spinning reels turn clockwise and others anti-clockwise.
- Have someone to hold the spool a little away from you and help you in the process
- The line coming off the spool should match with the direction in which your spinning reel turns
- Make sure to maintain the right amount of tension so that the line is secured tightly onto the spinning reel
- Leave some gap in the edge so that your line can come out easily whenever required
- Cut the remaining line and keep it in safe place
Even when you manage to do all these things, there is no assurance that your line will not develop twists in the future. It can happen due to various reasons and it is not possible to avoid it completely.
In case, you happen to encounter a situation where your line gets twisted, you should be aware of how to resolve the issue. The best thing to do is to release a long length of the line behind your boat while dragging it for some time.
After a while, you will notice that the line has straightened out and you can easily spool it back to the reel. If you do not take notice of the issue immediately after it has begun, you will end up with a lot of tangles that will become very difficult to remove. In some cases, you may even have to cut the line completely and lay a new one when it gets entangled too much.
Tips to maintain the line in good condition
After you have finished fishing for the day, it is always a good habit to spool your reel with fresh line. This will ensure that you do not have any trouble while fishing. If for some reason, you do not want to do this, you can at least straighten it once and do the spooling all over again so that it remains tight and ready to be used for the next day.
This will ensure that there are no twists in the line and it will stay in good condition for a long time. Many lines are colored and when the color starts fading, it is an indication that the time has come to replace the line.